CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
The journey of my family's struggle with a Brain Tumor. Cancer Sucks but the days continue so we must continue on as well... with a fight!

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Scan results are in...

As many of you know, we have a scheduled trip to Duke on this Thursday. Before Todd goes to Duke, he has a scan done and we bring the copy with us so Dr. Desjardins can read it... Todd's scan was on Monday at 8 and by 10:30 I had received a phone call from the Knox Dr.-Dr. Avery. He asked if I had a moment to talk or if he should call Todd himself. My heart sank...

Dr. Avery informed me that the tumor was stable BUT they have discovered another tumor in his cerebellum. He said that this could possibly be a result from the radiation (have a hard time believing that since radiation was 3 years ago,) and that he wanted to let me know before we were told at Duke.

I hung up the phone, composed my self (the best I could) and called Todd...He took the news like a champ. I think he was really only being strong for me since I was in almost breakdown mode. I called my 2 trusty go-to people (mom didn't answer) and then I sat on the curb outside and cried. Todd called me back and said that this could possibly be a blessing in disguise because now maybe they can biopsy it or possibly remove it. We could possibly move mountains with a tissue sample which in turn could help with the other beast.


So I really don't understand but I don't think I am suppose to. My heart aches and I almost can't get weepy anymore. I finished out Monday at work because I knew that being at work was better than being at home and I had to get myself together so we could have a good night trick or treating...

I opted to take a 1/2 day yesterday and we just hung out together. Nothing exciting and we really didn't talk about life. We received and email from Dr. Desjardin stating she would look at the scan when we came on Thursday. She assured us that she would do whatever is best and that we were 'safe' with her. She also stated that sometimes radiologist techs see something that is really nothing... so there is hope.


Today I put my big girl britches on and dried my eyes. We are up for any challenge and will fight it head on...Tomorrow is a new day with lots of new information. We will take it and make a plan. We like 'plans' and will do whatever is necessary!


Many people this week have asked about Tyler... We have not said anything to him since we don't know any real news. I had a hard time not talking to him last night as we drove to the store. He truly is my rock that keeps this all in perspective. He was a trooper with me when this all began 5 years ago and I know he will be a troooper again! We are fortunate that he is not a child that worries. He is a go with the flow type of kid, kinda like me. :) I know whatever we tell him, he will digest it in his own way.


Anywho... we are leaving tonight to start our journey to Duke. Ty is staying with our family friends and they are also helping with the dogs. We will be back later tomorrow evening.


We will take any prayers, well wishes, encourgement or anything else you want to throw our way. :) I will update when I know more!!!


The Clan...


Oops, thought I would mention that Todd's mom will be starting another round of chemo next week as she found out last month that her tumor markers have increased. Also, a coworker of Todds (Mary White's) son in law was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and is only expected to live 4-6 months. He is a 30 yr old ish man with a wife and child. It's been a crazy cancer talking week at my house so please add these people to your prayers.

3 comments:

Yvette said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you all. If there is anything I can ever do for you - whether it's a shoulder, a chocolate or a homecooked meal - please don't hesitate to ask!

Jenna said...

Kim, our prayers are with you all! In the times of stress and confusion, I always claim Romans 8:28, then I charge straight forward into whatever is thrown my way. I will be prayer that verse for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Kim,
Just got up to speed, hope everything went well on your trip, praying for you, Todd and Tyler.