CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
The journey of my family's struggle with a Brain Tumor. Cancer Sucks but the days continue so we must continue on as well... with a fight!

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Final Pathology Reports

A bit of back story... I spoke to Dr. D on Friday evening. She called to check on Todd and talk to me about what I 'knew.' She said it appeared the tumor cells were at least a grade 3 and it was possible that there were some grade 4 cells. (Grade 4 cells would be the worst and hardest to battle) As true Dr. D fashion, she explained the only bright side of grade 4 cells-no insurance denial, she comforted me by explaining that the new cells were found early and she was our team leader to help us fight... I just love her! I secretly dwelled over the weekend and prepared for the worst. I planned on hearing the results on Monday so I kept my phone by my side and every right or vibrate, my heart raced. By 6pm on Monday... no call :(

Ok, Tuesday is a new day... Dr. D called about 10:45. She said 'I have a bit of good news." I think I cried a bit... This is what she told me:
  • Tumor is an ANAPLASTIC ASTROCYTOMA
  • Grade 3 but still have grade 2 mixed in (best case scenario)
  • Chance of Mitosis-I had to ask what Mitosis was... The chance of it dividing and making more cells were rare, 5-10%.
  • Start Avastin-which I learned from Dr. D is more of a vaccine type of drug and is not a chemo drug. Apparently it blocks the blood to the tumors so the tumors can't function. Every other week via IV.
  • Start Radiation-will have to add another sailor to our ship... We have a Radiation Oncologist but he is in Florida so now we need a Knox Radiation Oncologist.
  • Once radiation starts, continue on Temodar- chemo he has been on, taken orally.
That's the highlights... It wasn't horrible news for the situation. Todd's in miserable shape. I called him a 70 year old man and really right now, he's probably in the shape of an 85 year old man. He has horrible dizziness and he balance is so unstable. He can really only get around from kitchen to couch to bed. Since he's a fall risk right now, I don't even want him moving around that much. He's only allowed to shower when someone is at home and he's not driving right now. He also has very slow, slurred speech. It almost sounds like he is drunk... I talked to Dr. D about that and she said this should improve with increased Decadron (steroids) and over some more time. I was told the Cerebellum (brain) heals very well and within the next few days he should be improving.

Tomorrow we plan to meet the Radiation oncologist then we are off to a 'teaching' of Avastin and for him to make sure all his levels are OK in order to start Avastin. If all goes well, Avastin will be started on either Friday or Monday.

Shew, it's a lot of information and somehow I am keeping up. This juggling of caregiver, wife, mother, employee, friend and whatever else is so draining. :) I struggle with saying my peace sometimes and I know that too is wearing on me (I typically have no problems speaking my mind either, LOL). So, new focus...

Ty is being a trooper. I have poked and prodded to get some emotion out of him however he's not ready to show any. He says he's fine and he understands the situation... He's been a great help with Todd around the house. I am waiting for him to 'crack' but all is good at this time. I think it is important for his life to remain as consistent as possible so I will do what I have to do to accomplish this.

I appreciate everyone who has called, texted or stopped by. It has definitely been noticed. I've told everyone that we are good on food. A few people have slipped some goodies and of course, I won't turn you done BUT for now we are good. Like I said in a previous post, I froze like crazy a few weeks ago. I appreciate the food but moreso we appreciate your support and acknowledgment. Without all you guys, we would be lonely! :)

As we finish this week, I should gain a lot of new information. Next week is Thanksgiving so not sure how much treatment stuff will be done. I will be home Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, this will be a great time to decompress!

I have struggled with being happy with the results because yesterday our friends lost their husband and son in law to pancreatic stage 4 cancer. He was diagnosed less than a month ago... I'm so happy there are options for Todd but so sad that someone we know lost their rock and loved one in such a short period of time... I can't imagine the pain they are going through but realize that it could be anyone. Life is short... appreciate those around you, love those around, support those around you... even if you don't know how!

Thanks all... will update more this week after dr's appointments!

The Clan....

3 comments:

Mary Katherine Roberts said...

Cheering you all on! Go Team Bloomfield! Ty sounds like he is doing just fine in my humble school counseling opinion. Remember he's a man-in-the-making so emoting is never going to be a strength. I'm glad you have a short week and am looking forward to hearing some good news really soon!

Saving Little Hearts said...

Thinking of you and sending lots of prayers your way!

Jennifer Berry said...

Kim...I was so happy to read the not-negative report. I think of you all often and will continue to pray for you all. Thank you for reminding us to appreciate our loved ones-you are right, of course, you never do know what the future holds. Your strength and love for your family is truly inspiring. I will be anxious to hear some more good news soon.