CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
The journey of my family's struggle with a Brain Tumor. Cancer Sucks but the days continue so we must continue on as well... with a fight!

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Week Update 5/17

Hey Guys... I'm going to give a quick update. Who am I fooling, I can't do it quick! Last time I wrote I was telling you about us not being able to go on a mini trip... Well that bummed us out but it was for the best! Friday was Tyler's field day and Todd and I both planned on going to watch him. When Todd woke up on Friday, he said he felt nauseous and said he would meet up with me later at school. He wound up staying home the entire day home and resting. I was sad only because it was Tyler's last year of elementary school and Todd missed it but... you do what you gotta do!

I've posted some pics at field day.. They kinda crack me up. I sat in awe of how the kids have grown up over the past years. The teary part for me (its a mom thing) is that most of these kids have stuck side by side since kindergarten and this era is ending for them. I can't wait to see what the next era brings. I love being able to watch my child grow in addition to all his other buddies... it's amazing!

Tyler was in the sack race, hula-hoop contest and the dizzy bat race... what happened to the traditional games?



Yes, crazy hair...






This was his first place finish team... All but one he has been in class with since K.



Tyler's 5th Grade Teacher... Ms. Turner



Ty and his buddies. The one is the black shirt is his 'friend'. LOL...


Ty and Sarah, his 'friend'


Ok... the real reason you are reading.. you want to know about Todd. :) So, Todd was icky feeling on Friday. On Saturday he told me he was bored and wanted to get out of the house. He chaperoned me around while I ran errands and we ended up going grocery shopping. After a few hours once again, he was dog tired. We went home where he rested on the couch. While out shopping, we received a call from his buddy in Florida-Steven. He told us that he had a few extra airline miles and would like to come on Monday... We said 'come on' and I could tell that Todd was excited. Afterall, we just had to cancel a weekend trip and lets face it, Todd's days are kinda boring.


I think I pushed the Todd envelope too far on Sunday. We had to clean becuase if you know us... our house IS NOT company ready. We tagged teamed and eventually got it cleaned but I could tell Todd was 'foggy' and having some vision issues. We relaxed for a few hours and then decided to go strawberry picking. On our way there our great friends the Rupekas called and said they wanted to join us so... off we all went. I was in strawberry natzi mode but when I looked over at Todd I could see he was struggling. He let me know that he couldn't see and it was time for him to stop. Boo.... It seems that when he gets tired or pushed himself too far, his double vision is coming back. He said that the berry patch was one big blur.. Boo again! (We did manage to get almost 8 lbs of strawberries)


I guess we are learning that as much as we want to be a 'normal' family and do 'normal' activities, we have to be more cautious. Kinda sucky but I will take that any day as long as we are doing it all together!


Todd picked up Steve early Monday morning and he left last night (Tuesday). I can't tell him enough how thankful I am he came. He brought my family back to life.... They/We laughed and played games (ps3) like we did months ago. Because of Todd's limited hand mobility, he hadn't played with Ty in months. Steve played with Ty and by yesterday afternoon, Steve encouraged Todd to give it a try. When I came home, Todd was playing! Not a biggie to some but golf was taken away and recently video games so seeing him playing the video games was a sigh of relief. It surely is the small things in life that make you go hummmm....


I think I heard through the grapevine that Steve and his family might be coming in June for a few day visit. If we can't travel to see them (Orlando) then they are more than welcome to come see us!


Well, thats the weekly wrap up... Todd has a dr's appt tomorrow but it is only for bloodwork. Unless something has dropped, he will continue on the same path. I will post if there are any new changes.


A quick shout out to his VF team.... Thanks for all the cards we've been receiving. I know there are some days he receives 3-4 cards. One person sends one bi-weekly! Just letting him know he has support helps him to continue on. I have lots of support and I think sometimes he feels out in the cold-whether he will admit that or not! LOL....


Lastly, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to know who is visiting the blog. IF you don't mind, please drop us a comment. The nosey person in me is dying to see where all the visits come from. :)



Thanks everyone!!!







12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog Kim! I miss Todd playing golf. We had so much fun on our "golf trips". You all are the best neighbors anyone could have. We will do anything for you all and we are here if you need us.

Ken

Sandy said...

Hi Kim! Thanks for the update. Sounds like all in all it was a pretty good week. Ust gotta keep counting those blessings! Take care! Sandy Temple

Anonymous said...

I recently started reading the blog just to keep up with what you're going through and send "appropriate" prayers your way. You guys are often in my thoughts. :)
Kim Davis

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that we're reading your blog(I think you know that already...we're the Ocoee, FL visits)! I try to check in every few days (at least once a week)to check for changes. I really enjoyed seeing the photos of Tyler and his friends at field day! We are definitely planning to make a trip to TN in June! Thanks for the invite! Haven't told Heather yet, but I know she will be super excited!! I know I am!

Christy, Steven, Heather, and Morgan

Unknown said...

I'm reading in Idaho. Hope to see Todd when we are in Tennesse in late June.

Monte

Anonymous said...

Just letting you know that we visit your blog. We think of you guys often and keep you in our prayers. Mom and dad check it too but I am sure they have NO idea how to post a comment!

Carrie, Mikey and Caeben

Unknown said...

Hi Kim,
Jeff, Ricky and I love to read the update. Listen any time you need help getting ready for company give me a shout I will do my best to come and help. Love to all.

Amy J said...

I read it, but I'm sure you already know then when I ask you questions about it the next morning.

Julie said...

The Knoefel's love you guys! I read it everytime I see ya on FB that there is a post. Love the Field Day Pics. Love you got to pic stawberries. Love Todd is Loves by his VF friends in Pigeon Forge. Love that you all are in Love! Makes me cry to see you Kim cause your love for life and Todd and Ty is incredible. Keep the Faith. God is holding your alls Hands. He never gives you more than you can handle. When there are only one set of prints in the Sand...He is holding and carrying you thru the waves.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know I read your blog and then update George on it (he does very little on the computer, lol) so we can keep you all in our daily prayers. Kim, you are a strong incredible person. Remember, God is always with you.

Angie Moore

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim...We are always thinking about you all.

Dewayne, Lora, and Grady

KaraEdenfield said...

I love reading your blog - your kindness and perkiness just shine through! You, Todd, and Tyler are such an inspiration to so many. I am always blessed to read your posts, and will continue to remember you in my daily prayers. My favorite pick-me-up verse is Psalm 3:3: "Thou, O Lord, are a shield around me; you're my glory, and the lifter of my head." I hope it will also lift your spirit on the tough days. Love and miss you!
Kara