CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
The journey of my family's struggle with a Brain Tumor. Cancer Sucks but the days continue so we must continue on as well... with a fight!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Duke Duke Duke... oh Duke

So a bunch has changed since I posted last week... Over the weekend, Todd noticed that he was becoming unstable on his feet, more so than normal, and then on Sunday he noticed that he was having difficulties with his word processing with slurred speech. Todd was worried that if he waited 2 more weeks for a biopsy that things would get worse so I called Duke on Monday and told them what was going on...

The called back at 4:30pm (Monday) and told us they could get us in today (Tuesday). I scrambled to make plans and off we went. Of course in my lingo this is definitely the shortened version, LOL...

We left this morning at 7am, got here around 12ish and we immediately went to go meet Dr. Friedman. From there we went to pre-op stuff and that took F...o...r...e...v...e...r... He was admitted to the hospital at about 5pm and thats where we are now. I am going to stay in the room with him tonight-hope I sleep in this oh so comfy chair. Todd said this is payback from when i made him sleep in one when I had Ty.

As far as tomorrow goes... We were told the biopsy would be done at 4pm however after being admitted, Dr. F's nurse told us that the time was fluid and to plan on somewhere around 2ish. They will come in in the morning and place the halo on his head. She told us that this would be more pain then the actual procedure. They will use shoot him up in 4 spots to numb the area and then the halo will be placed. It goes through the first layer of skin and tissue until it reaches the bone to hold it in place. She told him it would be a great time to take a nap. (Naps, I love naps :) ) The procedure will be done by the Dr drilling a small hole, only one, into a guided area and a needle will be placed into the tissue. Procedure should take less than 1 hour and he will be awake for it. Dr. will know 85% accuracy of what type of tissue we are dealing with when he comes and gets me. The 100% results should come by Monday. After 6 hours and all is going well, we will be dismissed. Not sure what our plans are since I don't know what time it will be when he is released. Currently, they have him hooked to an IV to give large doses of steriods to minimize any swelling, if any...

Ty with friends, Dogs are being watched by neighbor.... All is well on the home front. We so appreciate all those who have called, texted, emailed and so forth... I will definitely take people up on stuff once we get home and settled.

Both of us are calm, cool and collected tonight... I might be a bit more jittery tomorrow however I know that Todd is more anxious to hear the results then the actual procedure. I will update tomorrow once I know more.

Night all...

The Clan

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Kim, Todd and Tyler
you are all in our prayers and as always let us know if we can help.
Love to all
Missy, Jeff and Boys

Mary Katherine Roberts said...

Thinking and praying for you all. I hope everything goes smoothly! Good thoughts and vibes headed your way!
MK & BJ