CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
The journey of my family's struggle with a Brain Tumor. Cancer Sucks but the days continue so we must continue on as well... with a fight!

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Prayer Request for my "new" friend.

I have made a new friend over the past 2 days. She found me as she was looking for info on the Proton Center and Dr. Malyapa. Her name is Christa and her husband is Ron. They have 3 kids and he has a rare tumor behind his nose. I will post a portion of her email to me.

The tumor is in the clivus bone, which is directly behing the sinus cavity that lies behind the nose. It butts up to the brain and sits between the two corrated arteries. Ron had been having extreme sinus prblems for a bout 3 months (he couldn't hear out of either of his ears), so they decided to do a CT of his sinus cavities. They called us the next morning and told us they found a "growth" in the clivus bone and had to do an MRI for a better look. They confirmed it with an MRI and he had to go in for Biopsy surgery and while he was there they put tubes in his ears to drain the fluid. The biopsy procedure took almost 6 hours becasue of where it is located. They determined it was Clival Chordoma which is a slow growing form of cancer, though they didn't find any actual cancer cells in his tumor, the patholgy showed it was Chordoma. The good thing is, becasue they found it so early, it is still actually small enough where they can do the Proton Radiation becasue it is contained in the bone still. Although this is slow growing, it will eventually grow into the surrounding areas. It is in a really bad place becasue of all th vital organs and tissues which surround it. There is no guarantee that the radiation will actually stop growth of the tumor, but it is a good chance. This condition he has is pretty rare and they don't have a lot of good research on it.

I know what type of journey she is about to begin and she has 3 kiddos to take care of as well. We are going to keep in touch. Please add her and her family to your prayers-she could use anything and everything. Their appointment at the Proton Center is on Wednesday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim;
Let me know if this comes through.

Anonymous said...

I can't be anonymous anymore becuz others are too.
But I used to bake cupcakes for you -
Now with a week or 2 to go
I will have to bake something else as you leave
I wonder whats up my sleeve????

P.S. any old bananasa laying around and brown????