CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
The journey of my family's struggle with a Brain Tumor. Cancer Sucks but the days continue so we must continue on as well... with a fight!

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

New Plan... again

Well...we have a new PLAN.

I will back up and tell you about the scan and Friday. He had a scan done on Friday and we met up at Dr. Avery's office to have a 'quick' read. The initial read was not good. We were told there was 'significant' growth. At the current time they were concerned that he would not make it through the week because he looked so bad! He was told not to eat before the scan, I fed him breakfast at 7:30 and he hadn't eaten and it was close to 5pm. In addition, he hadn't had any of his afternoon medicine and his feet were purple because he had been sitting in the wheel chair for a bit of time. So, not sure if this had anything to do with it....

We already had a weekend planned to go to the indoor water park, The Wilderness. I questioned whether or not we should go but we opted to continue on with the weekend. We went with our dear friends and I knew they would help if anything happened.

Fast forward... I spoke to Duke today and she confirmed the bad news. She said that the brain stem and the cerebellum tumors had both grown. She explained that his 4th ventricle is about 1/3 of the way 'squished' once that becomes fully closed then the brain fluid will not be able to move to and from the brain. She said this was her biggest concern and she called it hydrocephalus. The signs of hydrocephalus are headaches, memory loss, incontinence and balance issues. Since he is still willing and wanting to continue on, Dr. D is going to get him started on CCNU, another oral pill, and continue with Avastin. As of now, CCNU has been ordered and he will start it by the end of the week.

The next few weeks are pivotal..I hope and pray that his body can tolerate the chemo. We will just take each day, day by day and continue to FIGHT. I am so proud of Todd's willingness and fight. He's a true inspiration...he's happy, content and going with the flow.

Ty and I have been truckin along keeping life as normal as possible. He's actively doing scouts and playing the guitar. I had to knock out baseball since it was too much for me to commit to this season. The kid has been a huge trooper and I am so happy that he is a well rounded, adjusted child.

We've had great volunteers again last week along with several meal delivered. My mom's church group has put together coolers again and they are being delivered on Sunday... I'm sure it will last us for weeks. :)

If you are on the 'volunteer' list, I will be putting together next weeks schedule by Thursday. Todd's brother, Greg, has offered to stay with him more but while things are OK... I want him to work as long as he can because there might be a time when he really needs to be there more. I/We are so grateful for the volunteers as they are helping us get through the days! Also, Kim will be 'starting' with us next week and she will be a great addition to our Ship. :)

I've received so many more awesome gifts over the last week and I am having a hard time keeping up with everyone SO... if you have sent a card or gift, THANK YOU!!!

Keep praying! He's a fiery guy and not giving up so with prayers all things are possible!

Thanks all,

The Clan...

0 comments: