CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
The journey of my family's struggle with a Brain Tumor. Cancer Sucks but the days continue so we must continue on as well... with a fight!

Monday, October 10, 2011

Family and such

So... I was raised in a very traditional family for most of my life and so was Todd. I say most of my life because my parents divorced when I was 18. Todd's parents are still together and have been for 43 years (can you say WOW.) I say all this because it seems there are more and more nontraditional families these days. So on this topic, I am pretty sheltered from the real world and I think Ty is too. As my work peeps say.. I'm a pretty straightforward realist to life. I call it like I see it. Well... I have been hit with a stick on the nontraditional family topic.

Family is not what it used to be. Who says a family has to consist of a Mom and a Dad? Some families have moms, some have just dads, some have only aunts and uncles and some have grandparents. And you know... there are some families that are so blended that you really don't know who is who.

I think we all need to take a quick look around at who we call family and embrace them. It really doesn't matter how they came into our lives but just that they are in our lives. Everyone, especially children, need a safe place to call 'home.' Also, if you know someone who has taken on others, take a moment to thank them because without them... who knows where those little people would be!

I found this quote while looking for something else but I thought it was cute to share:

The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together. ~Erma Bombeck

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautifully said. thanks kim for a much needed reminder. becky w.

Yvette said...

Love that quote! And I totally agree - "family" comes in many different forms

Melissa said...

Wow this was great and just reminds everyone just how important family is. We have a great family and no matter what we stick by each other.